The Share and Shine event was held on the 13th of April 2016 at Mpontsheng Secondary School. Educators from EOH and Joy Global sponsored schools gathered to share their best practices in the teaching field. The main objectives of the event were:
- To “share and shine” on good practices and success stories in their classrooms and schools.
- To enhance peer learning groups and networking through.
- MST Integration
- Use of WhatsApp forum as a virtual team real-time discussion platform
- Collaboration and networking, both within and across subjects and schools
- Good practices in content knowledge, methodology, resource usage, classroom management, use of ICT in lessons and managing discipline
The welcome speech was delivered by Maths Centre and highlighted the importance of teachers to participate in Maths Centre activities. Educators were encouraged collaborate especially within the Mathematics, Sciences and Technology (MST) subjects.
Participants discussed the main aims and focus of the 2016 MST Front End Loader project. The presentation focused on how learners can apply concepts learnt in Maths and Science in class into the research, design and construct project. The mathematics, science and technology needed in building the Front End Loader was discussed, with special emphasis on the collaboration of MST educators. Educators discussed how the Maths, Science and Technology could be applied to address the following aspects of the project
- The machine should be able to carry up to 1 tonne
- The bucket operation system should be more of hydraulics and pneumatics
- Safety of highest order is required
- Use of recycled materials
- The structure should be able to perform the intended operation without fracture or deflections.
- All design stages are to be followed.
- Learners should identify and explain where mathematical and physical science concepts have been used.
- Working drawings are to be used for clear communication. 2D and 3D drawings have to be used. Pictures and Photos are accepted.
- Social impact and benefits to the environment to be spelled out clearly
Concerns were raised that construction of the MST project was left to technology teachers while Mathematics and Science still lagged a bit behind. Everybody was encouraged to take part fully in the MST project as this will help learners to appreciate the links of different subjects in technology.