Maths Centre, together with Petra Diamonds Finsch mine, held a Maps & Mirrors career day for the grade 9 learners on the 1st September 2016 to;
- assist them in their subject choices,
- motivate the learners to stay in school,
- promote maths and science for FET,
- take part in the mine’s learnership program and to
- become future engineers, as well as artisans.
Preparing the hall before the day start, to take the grade 9 learners on a journey.
Learners from Kuilsville High School, Danielskuil High School and Die Kuil School as well as the stakeholders of from Petra Diamonds Finsch listen to the messages of the Training Officer from Finsch mine motivating them to continue with school, as well as to make the right choices. She also shared career opportunities that are available at the mine.
Solly(dressed in a blue jacket), a local young man shared his live and career journey from early childhood to today with the learners. He is currently an Engineer at Finsch Mine, a great success story and inspiration. “Success is your choice.” Willie Henning from the Maths Centre used Solly as an example on creating your own future and making your dream come true. The “Gym” concept were shared to exclaim the importance of listening, looking and doing your work at school, with the focus on planning your future and what you need and need to do to establish a secured future.
Mr Chris Mpisi, the guest speaker shared a motivational session on the learners regarding their current habits and the hidden dangers in that in terms of their future and their future choices.
Mr Chris Mpisi (left), the guest speaker shared a motivational session on the learners regarding their current habits and the hidden dangers in that in terms of their future and their future choices. Mr Sechaba from the Maths Centre closed the session asking the learners to remember and apply what was shared with them today. They need to complete their lives’ map whilst mirroring themselves to reach their full potential.
To help learners to ‘map ‘out their journey towards achieving a good matric pass by;
• Providing career guidance
• Assist with goal setting and planning
• Explain how to draw up a study plan/timetable
• Provide study tips for success
• Exposing learners to fun Maths and Science activities
Focusing on leadership as well as personal development including:
• Knowing ‘Who am I”
• How to do self-assessment
• Health and Well-being & My personal development plan